Friday, June 18, 2010

A Poem For My Dad




     This is a poem I'd posted a while back and thought it an appropriate tribute to my Dad. I'd written it the day of his funeral and though, it has been six years, I still miss him everyday.

Just a Teardrop Away
I knew no man with a warmer heart
A giving nature was just one part
With sadness in his eyes
And a smile on his face
With a pain in his heart
That years could not erase
At times we were close
Never too far away
He gave comfort with a hug
And hope for a new day
I pray that he knew of my love for him
From a daughter to a Dad
And from deep within
The time that we shared
Brought us laughter and tears
Always appropriate through the years
Life still goes on Dad
Though you're not here
But, I'll never forget your love
Not for a minute, a day or a year

I have a 'Special' Father's Day wish for my son, who is raising two boys of his own.

~ My wish for him is that it will not pass too quickly and he will feel the love and cherish every moment of fatherhood. ~ Happy Father's Day!
I love you, Kory!

And to my son-in-laws and my brothers and all of the men who have the honor of 'Fatherhood' bestowed upon them. It is one of the most important, if not the most important task, you will be given to do.

I wish you all a very Happy Father's Day!



5 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful poem, and so strong because it's heartfelt. My dad is still with us, you've prompted me to try and tell him the kind of things I might have left to a journal otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to your Dad and a beautiful way to say happy father's day to others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and bittersweet poem. Just lovely Cyndi. Hope you have a blessed day tomorrow. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your prayers for my mother in law, Ellen. You posted your prayer in response to a comment on Marybeth Whalen's blog and I thank God for you. God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words A Day, I am so glad I inspired you to tell your Dad how you feel. So many times, we think we have all the time in the world and say nothing.

    Laura, thank you for commenting. I do appreciate it and I'm so glad you liked my poem.

    Chris, I hope your day is also blessed.

    Victoria, thank you for commenting, I do appreciate it and I will continue to pray for Ellen.

    ReplyDelete