Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Resolution or a Promise? ~Happy New Year - 2010~

The PromiseImage by vandan desai via Flickr

The promise of a new beginning, a new hope, a new dream. That is what the New year brings to each and everyone of us. Most of us make resolutions that never see the light of day. Or we may give it a heartfelt try, however, by January 15th, our firm decision has crumbled. I know, this isn't news. We've all been there and we all know about losing the "conviction of our resolve". I am going to try something different this year. Instead of New Year "resolutions", I am making New Year "promises". I have always worked much harder at keeping a promise than I ever have at keeping a resolution. I'm not sure why that is, but it may have something to do with the fact that a resolution is something we decide to do for ourselves and is, almost always, expected to be broken. A promise, however, is something we make to another and in doing so, becomes more important. Well, this year I am making myself that important "other" and making promises to me.

I would love to make a promise to bring world peace, feed every starving child out there, and give every homeless person a warm and safe place to live. If I thought I could accomplish those things, well.....maybe next year! But, for this year I have two important promises to make to......me. :-)

The first promise to myself is to take care of my health and this means dropping the excess weight. So, paying more attention to proper nutrition (which may mean giving up my comfort food), starting a consistent walking program (which will give me less time on the internet) and consistency in both are key. I know, it doesn't sound like much fun, but will be worth it in the long run.

The second promise is to spend more time on my writing. I want 2010 to be full of short stories, poetry, and the two novels, of which I have the first drafts completed. My goal is to have one or both of my novels ready for submission by the Spring of 2010 or at the very latest, Summer of 2010. Now, this does sound like a whole lot of fun.

Well there, I said it publicly. How could I possibly not keep my word to myself with the whole world watching. OK! Maybe, not the whole world, but my twitter friends and family, who are the whole world to me.:-)

Wish me luck and let me know what "promises" you've made for the New Year!













Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

9 comments:

  1. I think that it makes a difference when you share goals with others. We're watching you, Cynthia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! Laura, you are just what I need to make my 2010 goals happen. Stay with me so I don't slack off.
    Best Wishes for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos for getting it out there, Cynthia - and making promises to yourself. I wish you joy in the fulfillment of them both, and a healthy, productive new year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! Thanks, Jamie and thanks for following my blog.
    The best to you in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! It's all out there to see and keep the promises to yourself. I think that is a good way to say it!

    I'm so glad you are joining us in #writerlbsOff! I will write several articles about keeping our promises to ourselves. But, I think our sense of community and support will be the most powerful motivator!

    Good Luck and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea to make promises rather than resolutions - well said!

    I can't stand to break a promise so have instead compiled a bucket list (which I intend to post in a couple days, when time allows - ha!)

    My list involves my resolution to read 100 classic novels by 2015 - and thus get well-read, to complete a first draft (terror causes me to start and stop like a stick-shift driven by an impatient teenager), earn my BA in English Literature (a quarter of the way there!), earn my Maters in Creative Fiction (a far way off!), get an agent, learn the marketing biz, compile fifty poems for a poetry book, and so on, and so on.

    I reckon my bucket list is very much like that of any writer.

    I noticed in your 'about me' you refer to yourself as an 'aspiring writer.' You are already a writer. You are an 'aspiring author.'

    Lovely to meet you, Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, I know with the #writerlbsOff group, I will achieve my goals. It is 0 degrees with a wind chill of -11 and I walked for 30 minutes. Am now thawing with a hot cup of hazelnut coffee. You are so good for me.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Corra, thank you for commenting on my blog. I find your bucket list very ambitious. Good for you.
    If I could finish and publish the trilogy that I have started and one other novel that is in it's first draft, I would be very happy. I don't have any degrees on paper, but I love to read and learn. And I especially, love to write.
    I am changing my 'about me' to reflect your observation of being an 'aspiring author'. Thank you for pointing that out. I am very much looking forward to sharing 'writers' thoughts with you.

    Lovely to meet you, as well.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cynthia ~

    I hope you're doing well since last we talked. :)

    This is just a quick note to let you know I left you an award at my blog:

    from the desk of a writer

    All the very best,
    Corra :)

    ReplyDelete