Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My review of Donna Carick's "The First Excellence"


I must admit, with all of the great books out on the shelves, I have a list of 'to be reads' a mile or two long.

The First Excellence by Donna Carrick was about ten or twelve on my list, only because I stack them as I get them and work my way down.  

And then I heard Donna read an excerpt of her new novel on Lori Osterman's blogtalk radio show. 

It quickly made it's way to the top of my list.......... and ..........I began..........reading.

From the first utterance of words by Good Mother to the decision Min-xi was forced to make, I was hooked. There was no going back. 

The carefully thought out plot meld with real life controversies, such as, international adoption, child abuse, the politics of communist China and the reality of life for those affected by all of the above. 

Donna's own personal experience with the adoption of a Chinese little girl ( a very adorable little girl, I might add) and her acquaintance with the real life Li Fa-ling, is what sparked the idea of The First Excellence. 

She has an exciting creative ability that made her characters come alive and take me with them to the streets of China.

Her detailed descriptions of Fa-ling and Yong-qi are so real that I would swear I know them or at least, met them somewhere, along the way.  

Fa-ling is very perceptive and is genuine as she interacts with fellow characters. You can't help but follow her lead, as she takes you with her from Shanghai to the farmlands of Zhuang and back again. You will feel the emotions of her heart and be with her every step of the way. 

There are so many layers of mystery, romance and intrigue to The First Excellence and when the final pages leave me (I mean Fa-ling) in Beijing, I don't want it to end. 

Neither will you! 

I will be, patiently, waiting for the sequel, Donna! 

Click on Donna's website to view other books she has written.


Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%! I too am waiting for the sequel!
    Very good review for a well deserved book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad I found this blog because I LOVE hearing about good novels! Donna's book looks AMAZING. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. I love the title she chose! I may have to read this one!! Thanks Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Cindy the blog looks great! Very cool design! Great review as well!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those kinds of reviews. It must have been a fabulous book. Chinese people are very complicated. It's difficult to do them proper justice.

    On another note. Thanks for dropping by my website. It's popularity is growing ever so slowly, but it means a lot knowing someone who has stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your blog! It's gorgeous. Thanks for this review, it sounds like something I would like to read! :D

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth, Thank you for stopping by. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your visit.
    I so enjoyed Donna Carrick's book and I'm sure you will, too.:-)

    ReplyDelete